It is a surgical specialty that focuses on the treatment of a wide range of conditions that affect the abdominal organs, including the:
- Stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.
General surgeons also perform surgery on the thyroid and parathyroid glands, hernias, and skin cancer.
Some common general surgery procedures include:
- Appendectomy: This procedure involves the removal of the appendix.
- Cholecystectomy: This procedure involves the removal of the gallbladder.
- Hernia repair: This procedure involves repairing a weakness or hole in the abdominal wall, which allows the contents of the abdomen to bulge through.
- Colon resection: This procedure involves the removal of all or part of the colon.
- Gastrectomy: This procedure involves the removal of all or part of the stomach.
General surgery is a broad field and general surgeons are trained to manage a wide range of surgical conditions, and they are also responsible for the preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of patients with surgical conditions.
It’s important to choose a qualified and experienced general surgeon to provide care.