General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on the treatment of a wide range of conditions that affect the abdominal organs, including the stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder, and pancreas. General surgeons also perform surgery on the thyroid and parathyroid glands, hernias, and skin cancer.
Some common general surgery procedures include:
- Appendectomy: This procedure involves the removal of the appendix.
- Cholecystectomy: This procedure involves the removal of the gallbladder.
- Hernia repair: This procedure involves repairing a weakness or hole in the abdominal wall, which allows the contents of the abdomen to bulge through.
- Colon resection: This procedure involves the removal of all or part of the colon.
- Gastrectomy: This procedure involves the removal of all or part of the stomach.
General surgery is a broad field and general surgeons are trained to manage a wide range of surgical conditions. They are also responsible for the preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of patients with surgical conditions. It’s important to choose a qualified and experienced general surgeon to provide care.